A pub that was home to the Great Bed of Ware…

Owned by Hertfordshire brewers McMullen & Sons est 1938.

 

It is thought that there has been an inn on the site of The Saracen’s Head since around 1365, although its present incarnation was opened in 1972 overlooking the River Lea. In the late 18th and early 19th centuries the Sarrie’s became an important coaching inn.

 

The Saracen’s Head Inn was also the last in the town of Ware to house the historical four-poster, carved oak Great Bed of Ware that could fit at least four couples. Landlord of The Saracen’s, Daniel Brown acquired the bed in 1848 which eventually was purchased by the V & A Museum in 1931 and loaned to Ware Museum.

 

When you next visit spot the Great Bed of Ware Heritage Trail plaque our building features – or read all about it in Shakespeare’s Twelfth Night where Sir Toby Belch describes a sheet of paper as “… big enough for the Bed of Ware!”

 

In late 1957 Ware’s Saracen’s Head was redeveloped. Our records script that for a ten or so year period this site traded as eight retail shops. In 1972 the new Saracen’s site was born with the investment of £60,000 followed by the construction of the river wall.

 

In March 2015 Ware has seen the rebirth of The Saracen’s Head pub, reopening an old treasure basement bar formely known as The Deep.

 

McMullen & Sons Ltd, the family brewers of Hertfordshire established in 1827, remain the owners of this historical property to this day. To learn more about McMullen visit: www.mcmullens.co.uk

Saracens Head
x